Tuesday 10 May 2011

My Poem

Life was going wonderfully for my lovely boys
Then one day Ben was sitting playing with his toys
I heard a shout and went to see, wondering what on earth it could be
I watched him playing, sitting on the floor
Unaware I was standing silently by the door
The shouts continued every now and then
He was only six my lovely little Ben.

From shouts to twirling and tripping himself over
Huge problems with shoes, trousers and pullover
This was all very scarey and very new to us, yet I knew  in my heart I was sure what it was
Toe tapping and foot stuttering hampered his walking
Stuttering also interrupted his talking
The shouts continued every now and then
He was only six my lovely little Ben

His dad and I knew as an identical twin
Joe was very likely to follow his kin
Sure enough a few months after, Joes tics started and stopped the laughter
Writhing on the floor shouting and crying
Where do we go from here?  we said sighing
This is just dreadful, what a blow
He was only six my lovely little Joe

With waxing and waning we thought it had gone
Our lives lit up again the sun once again shone
Then Joe and Ben peaked just after Christmas, we really struggled, didn’t know what had hit us
We didn’t know what to do or where we could turn
It felt our family was about to crash and burn
There was so much emotion within our home
Is this what it is like, living with Tourette Syndrome?

A few years on there are good days and bad
At times we can still get really sad
In the beginning you think you will never cope, but love and understanding gives you hope
The more informed and knowledgeable you become
The more understanding you can be as a mum
Bringing up boys is difficult at best
To live with TS as well is the ultimate test
Hope you like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment