Tuesday 31 May 2011

for those who think Tourettes is the swearing disease !!

You should have been in our house this evening.  Joe fine all day, tiredness kicked in once or twice, minor tics until I happened to make a scratching noise on some material. Whoa, nearly an hour of leg tics, shouts, hitting his head, thumping his calf and thigh, writhing on the floor and not able to stand or walk because one leg was tensing so much he couldnt bear it.
I had to piggy back my 11 year old, 6 stone boy upstairs to bed.
Swearing? from me maybe under my breath. From Joe? No
Remember only 10% of people with tourettes have coprolalia - yes it has a proper name.
Some people find Tourettes amusing - it is not - it is extremely distressing for those concerned and for friends and family watching on as there is nothing we can do to help.
So next time a comedian makes fun of tourettes, dont laugh - spare all the touretters out there a thought !! 

No comments:

Post a Comment